Tuesday 17 February 2015

Glory

Part One:


  • There were many things things that I liked about the film. For starters, I liked how realistic the film was. I liked how I was able to put all the things that I've learned about with the authorization made my Lincoln into real life. I liked how you got to see what the soldiers went through before and during the war. The way that they showed how hard it was for them and how horrible they felt at the beginning of training to all of the patriotism they had. The growth of the regime throughout the film was interesting to watch.
  • The movie, overall, made me feel pretty good. Obviously, people were lost in the war. But I don't think that that's what the movie was trying to depict. I think that the way that the soldiers showed patriotism and risked their lives was really great.
  • Some lasting impressions that I have is that the movie really got me thinking about how little the African Americans had and how poorly they were treated. Despite being poorly treated, they didn't try to revolt against the people who were brutally treating them. They just let it happen to them even though they knew they shouldn't have been treated that way. They weren't given proper shoes, and their feet looked horrible. How happy they were when they finally got proper shoes is what really stuck to me. I didn't really understand that even though they were allowed to be in the army, they really weren't treated like they should have.
  • I really liked Thomas. I think that with everything happening to him and everything going on around him and how poorly he was treated, he still maintained his "cool" and was very smart with his actions. I also think that Shaw was a very important character. Without his determination, I don't think that people would have realized the real value of blacks in the army.
  • Some content applications that it may have to today is that I think it shows how hard it is to train for war.  Nowadays, it doesn't matter what color you or or even what gender you are, training for army is hard and brutal. I think that what came across from the movie is how much work is put into war and armies. 
Part Two:
  • Honestly, I don't think there even is an answer to why people are willing to die for their country. It's what they believe in and I don't think that they could even explain it. I feel like this kind of relates to if you ask someone why they are religious, or why they do/don't believe in God. It's just what they believe in and it's who they are. However, some people do have a reason why they would die for their country. For example, when 9/11 happened SO many people enlisted in the army because something happened to our country. But, for the most part I think it is just the way people are.
  • I think that they are definitely hero's. They paved the way for many other African Americans and proved that color doesn't mean anything when it comes to war.
  • I think that Shaw was a hero because he also proved to other men that they should fight/stand up for what they believe in. He paved the way for other leaders to stand up and fight for African Americans.
Part Three:
  • I think that the significance of this story isn't actually about the battle at Fort Wagner and what happened there, but it was the bigger picture that was significant. The leadership of the 54th at the battle of Fort Wagner was that they were the first leaders to step up for what they believe in and it proved to others that everyone should fight for something that they want/believe in. I think that this group was heroic and brave and their story is very unique to our country and its history.

1 comment:

Burk said...

You make a solid point in part two - it is hard to explain. I agree in that it's just who some people are - it is a calling and a way to express a purpose I would assume. Nicely done again, Julia!